Wednesday, December 26, 2007

More investment tasks and goals for 2008

Here are a few more tasks and goals for investment in the coming year:

  1. Figure out a more streamlined approach to cash management that gives a reasonably high return and convenience and simplicity but without adding significant risk or inconvenience or complexity.
  2. Figure out a model for how to balance savings and investment in retirement accounts and non-retirement accounts. Contributions to my Roth retirement accounts grows tax free, but is not easily accessible. On the other hand, now that I have built up a fully-funded rainy day contingency fund and significant assets in non-retirement accounts, and will continue to do so, ease of access is less important, so I should probably up my retirement contributions, to the extent that I am not approaching the legal limit. I may have to wait until I do my taxes to determine how much I can contribute to a Roth IRA account. In any case, coming up with a model would be useful.
  3. Identify investment sectors or niches that have been out of favor in recent years and may be ripe for being targeted by investment managers and hedge funds in the coming year based on the evolution of the economy. Think"value investing" and look for deep undervaluations. I actually do not have discretionary funds to be going after such risky opportunities, but it is time to start developing and enhancing the analytical skills needed to identify and evaluate such investments, including risks and risk management.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home