Tuesday, June 20, 2006

More money for my rainy day fund and a Roth IRA contribution

I spent a number of hours working on my budget this past weekend and finally decided that I had enough excess cash to save away a big chunk in my rainy day fund as well as to make a modest contribution to my Roth IRA account, both of which are at Muriel Siebert & Co. and will be in cash for the next year or so, currently yielding over 4% for my taxable account and over 4.5% for the Roth account. Once I get over a moderate threshold I may switch to Treasuries, or maybe a short-term bond fund once the Fed stabilizes short-term interest rates, but money market funds are actually paying a decent rate of return, especially given the low risk.

Unfortunately, my detailed budget spreadsheets don't show me making more than modest contributions to either account in the next few months. Still, I have made a good start.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home