Thursday, June 08, 2006

Stock market and money market mutual fund yields

I've lost track of how many days (weeks) it's been since I checked up on the stock market on a regular basis. That's the way it's supposed to be for true, long-term investors.

I re-enabled my ShareBuilder monthly dollar-cost averaging investment plan which buys a small amount of stock (fixed dollar amount) once a month. My plan will now buy 100% Microsoft (MSFT) stock on the second Tuesday of each month, so my next investment will occur automatically next Tuesday (June 12). This plan is still only a small amount of money, but it gets rid of a lot of the effort and anxiety of investing.

I've also parked a moderate pile of cash (from my signing bonus) in my ShareBuilder account where it will earn a semi-reasonable money market yield (4.22%) until I decide how much of it to place in my Roth IRA account. My Roth money market fund is presently yielding 4.66%, with another quarter-point Fed rate hike quite likely at the end of the month. I have some other housing related expenses coming up over the next month (I might be in rather expensive temp housing until my new apartment is ready sometime in July), so I'm not sure how much "free" cash I really have right now. That's a big difference from where I was financially two months ago.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home