Thursday, December 25, 2008

Reduced credit limit on one of my credit cards

I had been reading for some time about people seeing their credit card companies reduce their credit limits, but it had not happened to me, until last week. One of my three credit cards, branded for Frontier Airlines by Barclays Bank, cut my credit limit by $750, saying that "Your credit line has been lowered to reflect your spending." They go on to say "Based on your spending history and since you are using only a small portion of your available credit, we have lowered your credit line to..."

Actually, my spending with the card for the past seven months has been zero. I used the card in May to pay for part of my move to New York City. Other than that one month I have not used the card over the past year.

The amusing thing is that I had not even noticed that they automatically bumped up my credit limit after I ran near the limit in May, so the cut actually leaves me with about $250 more credit that I had before the trip in May and which I thought that I still had. So, I almost feel that I am ahead of where I thought I was.

It is not my preferred card since I have a card (Household Bank from HSBC) that gives 2% cash back, but it is my second choice since it earns Frontier air miles for all charges.

Still, it is a bit disheartening to see your credit limit get dinged.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home